Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sunday Shuffle #9: Bumber On-time/Late Double Edition Combo!!

I SWEAR! ... Unless my internet connection dies again. Man, I should have seen that coming.

Well, to make up for the fact that I didn't do one at all this week, this one is actually on Sunday, and twice as long. And a little bit more! Somehow I counted wrong and did 23 instead of 20. I could pretend that was a further bonus, and not me being stupid, but I'm stupid.

Interpol - The New

I've never really got into Turn On The Bright Lights very much, and I much prefer Antics which, as I understand, is fairly unusual. But while the album as a whole doesn't do that much for me, there are a couple of songs on Turn On The Bright Lights that are definitely the highlights of their career, and this would be one of those. It's big. It's really big.

Suede - Electricity

So, some Suede songs are extremely formulaic, to the point where they may well have been created by robots. This one appears to have been created by a robot that had never actually heard a Suede song, but knew from the other robots what the basic components of a Suede song should be.

Brand New - untitled 9

So, having heard the single and how incredibly better it is than its demo version (#8, by the way), I'm even more incredibly excited about the album, because I already loved most of these demos a whole lot, and if they can improve all of them as much, or, in many case, not even use them because they have better songs to use? That's got to be a pretty amazing album, right?

Relaxed Muscle - Rod Of Iron

Easily my favourite of the three songs on The Heavy E.P.. I guess it's the most Pulp-like, maybe. None of them are very much at all, but anyway, this one has THE FUNK, and it is good.

The Magnetic Fields - No One Will Ever Love You

Heh.
"My mother used to say 'no one will ever love you until you learn to love yourself.'"
"My mother used to say 'no one will ever love you.'"
Yeah, that's from Scrubs, not this song, it just reminded me of it.
There is actually a 69 Love Songs song every week, isn't there? I guess 69 is quite a lot to choose from. And goddamn, but so many of them are so good! How did he do that?

Haven - Change Direction

Oh, Haven, you're just not very interesting, are you?

U2 - Gone

And, you know what, most of the time, neither are you, U2. This is no excpeption. C'mon, give me something notable already!

I Am Kloot - Proof

Well, alrighty, this has the awesome 'do nothing but stare at Chris Ecclestone for three minutes' video! I love that. The song is pretty excellent too. Dude's got a good voice, for sure.

Tim Booth - Bone

This dude doesn't actually have that great a voice, but he makes up for it by writing some really, really awesome songs. Though not really quite so much as a solo artist as with James, but a fall from that high up still leaves you pretty high.

Modest Mouse - The Good Times Are Killing Me

I love the falsetto that gets unleashed on syllables totally at random in this.

Charlotte Hatherley - Summer

She's just like Ash with the pop-rock brilliance, only she can actually sing! Woah oh-woah uh-oh!

Super Furry Animals - The Roman Road

"The Roman Road/It's a little pit stop on the road to Rome". I'm kind of confused, you know. And wow, the feedback at the end goes on a while.

Girls Aloud - Long Hot Summer

Was this really released as a single? Somehow I don't even slightly remember it. That's kind of odd. Well, anyway, it really doesn't blow me away. They've done much better, for sure.

Tom Vek - If I Had Changed My Mind

Yeah, this really isn't one of his best, either. It's got the funk, of course, but it really doesn't have anything else at all. There's not even a vague attempt at actually singing some kind of coherent tune, which would probably help.

Halo - Here I Am

Haha, Halo. They'd started a few years later, they'd have been HUGE, no doubt about it. Oh, but this is a ballad. That's no fun. No fun at all.

Doves - M62 Song

"MOOOONSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE! Waiting for a luvdatnevah comes." GODDAMN RIGHT.

Turin Brakes - Reach Out

Folksy! It's rather repetitive and it does go on a bit though.

Lowgold - If People Were Vinyl

"If people were vinyl, then you'd be a hit." Well, the whole concept of this song may just be stupid enough to go back round to awesome again. I'm not really sure.

Suede - The 2 Of Us

Now, this is more like it. No robots here, nosiree. Robots could never produce anything this absurdly grandiose. This is certainly an example of something that goes easily far enough into stupid to come back to awesome again. "You're outside making permanent love to the nuclear age". That's what Suede lyrics should be. You hear me, Suede robots?

Sigur Rós - Avalon

Yeah, it's just Staralfur, slowed down. That's so weird!

Placebo - Slave To The Wage

Oh, I love this. This is one of their best, for sure. "I'm sick and tired of Maggie's farm/She's a bitch with broken arms" So fun!

System Of A Down - Sugar

But not as fun as this, that's for sure. You know what, this easily beats Chop Suey!. Really. It's got so very many moments of bipolar awesomitude. "My baby lashes out at me and I just FUCKING kick her in the OOOH, BABY!"

Deathmole - Pavement Were A Bunch Of Lazy Wankers

And, hey, the fun continues. Well, with the name, at least. It's fairly calm instrumentalist stuff, so, more relaxing than fun to listen to, but that's cool too, y'know.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger if said...

Deathmøle!

8:02 pm  
Blogger if said...

crap, bold makes ø look like a normal o.

8:14 pm  
Blogger iamausername said...

I know, I know, but I don't know the keyboard shortcut for that, and getting on to copy/paste was just too much effort.

9:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home