Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sunday Shuffle #6: "You know what I miss? Leeches."

No, the title bears no relevance to anything.

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (Part 2). If there's one thing the world needs more of, it's synthesised bass squelching. I don't think you can reasonably disagree with that.

The Magnetic Fields - It's A Crime. It's quite astounding how high the hit:miss ratio on 69 Love Songs actually is, really. Truly an impressive body of work. This one falls among the infectious singalongy ones.

Frou Frou - Hear Me Out. Well, just lately I've become slightly obsessed with Imogen Heap/Frou Frou (thanks, in part, to Sugar Rush using Let Go at opportune moments) and obtained some albums, so it's fitting that one should turn up here, I guess. She's just got such a great voice. This song is just so relaxing, you know?

Manic Street Preachers - Just A Kid. Wait, so is this in the covers half of Lipstick Traces or not? I really can't remember. It sure sounds like they could have written it, but it can be pretty hard to tell if you don't know, I'm sure. Well, anyway, it's pretty average Manics either way.

Gomez - Get Miles. So, why do I have so much Gomez? Mostly, I just don't get them. It's kind of an odd thing. Not as odd as the amount of Ocean Colour Scene, but... yeah.

Suede - Lazy. Oh yeah. "You and me, all we want to be is laaaaaaaaaaaaaay-zee" Just how many Suede songs are there that use the phrase "you and me" or some variant thereof somewhere in the chorus? I mean, I love this song, I'm just saying. Also, why do Suede seem to come up every single week? I don't have that many songs by them. Statistically, R.E.M. should turn up the most, I think.

The Bluetones - Here It Comes Again. Well, pretty much just see what I said about The Watchman, really. Only for parts of this one though, mostly, it works, and it's great.

Catatonia - Londinium. There could not possibly be a better way of singing the phrase "London never sleeps, it just sucks". No way. London never sleeps... IT. JUST. SOUUURCKS.

R.E.M. - High Speed Train. Well, of course they're going to turn up now I've said they should. Well, this one comes from the much maligned Around The Sun, which just kept growing and growing on me to the point where it's actually one of my favourite R.E.M. albums. I don't think this song has all that much to do with that though.

Marillion - Hard As Love (Live). Hah, even when I've temporarily shifted all their studio albums to [PORTABLE MUSIC PLAYER OF CHOICE] to save on hard drive space, it didn't take them long to seep in. Well, this comes from Brave, which is one of their two really great albums, and is thusly pretty excellent. This particular song is all awesome riffs and kickin' solos and suchlike in a classic rock stylee, which is really not even remotely representative, but whatever. "DON'T YOU KNOW THAT LOVE CAN BE AS HARD AS ALGEBRA!!". Ahhhhhh.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home