Monday, September 11, 2006

Sunday Shuffle #3: Title Now Less Accurate Than Ever!

Let's have a little (or not so) foreword before I get on with the main point of this, shall we? So, yeah, first season Sugar Rush recaps are done. I don't know exactly when I'll get started on the second, though certainly in time to get third season (assuming there is one) going in 'real time' (ie. while the season is still airing). As you may have noticed, I love Sugar Rush. A lot. More than I expected, going into it, actually, or even realised until the last couple (Though I am somewhat resentful of the fact that Kim is such a great character that I had no call to use "Kim You Bore Me To Death" as a post title, honestly). I also enjoyed writing so much crap about it quite a lot more than I actually thought I would. Hence why that ended up being practically the only thing I've written in here so far. So, I'm going to want to do more of that. And if I stuck to just Sugar Rush, I'd run out of episodes in pretty short order.
When I originally sat down to decide which show to start recapping first, I had a couple of shows I was thinking about doing, one being Sugar Rush, obviously, the other being Shameless. In the end, I picked Sugar Rush because a) the episodes are half the length, so that would help ease me in a little, and b) I do really enjoy Shameless, but they're all from Manchester, so half time, I don't have a clue what they're talking about. And, rather than trying to get over that hurdle yet, I decided, hey, why not try something I've never watched before? What's the worst that could happen? Also, much as I love Sugar Rush, me being me, I do need me some good (or not) sci-fi/fantasy to sink my teeth into. So, next on the roster shall be Hex. Going into it, pretty much all I know is that it was advertised as "the British Buffy". If they're right, it should be awesome, but let's face it, it's more likely it'll turn out to be "the British Charmed".

But that's not our concern right now, let's get on with the "Sunday" Shuffle now, shall we? First up, Travis again! Remember them? Well, this, The Humpty Dumpty Love Song comes from third album The Invisible Band, when they were still mostly putting out reasonably good songs, and this is certainly one of those. It does that nice slow building thing that works so well when you do it right, and when he sings "All I need is you" he does actually sound like he means it, which is always good. Boy, that did cut out rather suddenly though. Odd.

Another repeat appearance of a band, Brand New this time, with Mix Tape. It comes from good but mostly unremarkable debut Your Favorite Weapon, but it's one of the best from that album, fantastic little rant that really demonstrates Jesse Lacey's excellent wit. "I've got a $20 bill says no one's ever seen you without makeup/You're always made up/And I'm sick of your tattoos/And the way you always criticise The Smiths/And Morrissey". Shit, I just want to quote the whole song. Anyway the best part is in the second verse where those last two lines become "The way you don't appreciate Brand New/Or me"

U2 - Beautiful Day. Oh, you know.

Longview - Feel The Same. Dear god, this is plodding. I know you can do better than this, Longview. Seriously. This is dull, dull, dull. Shut up already.

Muse - Apocalypse Please. Well, this sure isn't plodding. "THIS IS THE EEEND YEEEEEEEEEAAAHEEEEND THIS IS THE END. OF THE WORLD." Ah, Muse. when you're written the perfect apocalypse rock opera (Arockalypse opera? Rock operapocalypse? No, shut up, me.) you've clearly always aspired to, the only way to go is... sideways. But anyway, this is the opening to said rockapocalopera, and is, of course, pretty perfect for such purpose. "THEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYEAAAHEEEEND! OF THE WORLD!!!"

Clor - Magic Touch. OK, this is kind of scary. I do find something rather unsettling about Clor, though The Knife make that rather pale in comparison. And wow, that was a totally random place for a burst of guitar fuzz. I rather like this, really. But it's scary.

The Divine Comedy - Bad Ambassador. Honestly, it's a nice song, but it's decidedly lacking in awesome lines for a Divine Comedy song. Hmm... "I'm not the pope and I don't want to be/The Archbishop of Canterbury"? It's barely quotable at all.

The Flaming Lips - Hold Your Head. And now we're back to the unsettling again. Wayne Coyne, I know your voice is pretty fucked, but don't whisper like that. It's highly perturbing.

Crowded House - Weather With You. Wow, I'd forgotten quite how ridiculously long this takes to get to the chorus. Once it finally gets there though, it's a pretty wonderful release, and there is no way to not sing along.

The Tears - Imperfection. Bernard Butler and Brett Anderson get back together and... make an album that sounds far more like A New Morning than any other Suede album. This song was, in fact, on that album, but called Obsessions.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger if said...

rockapocalopera!

1:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home