Monday, September 25, 2006

Sunday Shuffle #5: "You already used Betsy, like, six months ago."

It's almost actually Sunday, this week!

Art Brut - Emily Kane

Oh, awesome. So, yeah, this is the one where the whole "no actual music talent whatsoever" thing not only doesn't matter, but actually works to their advantage. It's massively awkward and adolescent sounding, and that's the whole point, and it's really quite beautiful. The rest of the album isn't in the same league. In fact, it's not even playing the same sport, if that's not stretching cliché analogies too far.

James - Ring The Bells

No one does uplifting anthems better than James. No one. No, not even The Flaming Lips. I'm serious. No one.

Mew - Comforting Sounds

Not to be confused with Comfort In Sound, Feeder's last remotely adequate album. Wow, this a really great week so far. I'm not really at all familiar with the rest of Frengers, the album that this comes from, but this is the first Mew song I ever heard, and damn is it a good one for that. Really turns the epic up to 11, and man do I love epic.

David Ford - Katie

And the good just keeps on coming. I Sincerely Apologise For All The Trouble I've Caused suffers a little from the saminess bug, but as I discovered with Keane last week, if you take a song out of an album like that on its own, you might be surprised by how much you enjoy it. As with Katie.

Gorillaz - Last Living Souls

This is definitely my favourite song from Demon Days, because I could just listen to that repeating string part over and over all day. Seriously, I know there's gotta be some crap near the end of this ten to make up for the awesome so far. Or maybe I'll get karmic payback next week.

Melt Wizard - Weis & Hickman

"Ruled by a dancing wizard and a man with runes on his motherfuckin' face". Don't tell me you can write lyrics as good as that. You're wrong. No one can write lyrics as good as that. No, but, in all seriousness, a) I really can't say it any better than Dr. David Thorpe, b) Very interesting that this should come up in the same week as Emily Kane since they are, in many ways, the same song. Both utterly transcendent. Download this now. I'm serious.

Delays - Lillian

Seriously, this really doesn't sound very much like The Bluetones. I don't know what you're talking about.

Jeff Buckley - Grace

I have Jeff Buckley songs? Huh. I totally didn't know that. Also, what's up with all the girls' names this week? Seriously. Oh, the song? Eh, I know it's blasphemous and all, but Jeff Buckley really doesn't do a lot for me, I'm afraid.

Brand New - Jaws Theme Swimming

Hang on, this is the worst song on Deja Entendu, isn't it? I'm sure it is, but... Seriously, is it really? Fucking hell, I love that album. "Take a leap from out the window 'cause it's way too far to go through the door". Oh yeah.

Final Fantasy - Your Light Is Spent

Unusual as it appears to be, I actually love Has A Good Home very nearly as much as I love He Poos Clouds. Unlike the latter, it does have a few songs that really, really stand out above the others, of which Your Light Is Spent is not one, but that's not a failure on the part of the rest of the album, that's just those particular songs being obscenely awesome. Your Light Is Spent is totally gorgeous.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home